Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Writing Myself Free

It's the one piece of advice almost universally dispensed: Write every day. So simple, yet so hard to follow at times!

Between the writing I do for work, journaling and even making grocery lists - I do write every day. Yet when it comes to my aspirations to create literature, and sharing thoughts on issues I really care about, my commitment level has tended to peak and fall.

Recently, I completed a workshop at a great local organization called Write Yourself Free. If you live in the Westport, Connecticut area, and are interested in creative writing, film, poetry - I highly recommend it. In addition to their classes, WYF also hosts speaker events, movie screenings and student reading nights, so there are offerings for everyone from the professional author to anyone with an appreciation for things literary.

I took the school's foundation course and thoroughly enjoyed and learned from it. I'm definitely going to continue with them, likely exploring one of their screenwriting programs. And the one point most consistently emphasized, and best thing I learned was, "Write every day," and how to do so.

The course centered around narrative storytelling, so this was largely my focus for the past eight weeks, and an area I will further explore. At the same time, Mug for Thought is my primary interest, and a place I can certainly also apply what I learned in the workshop.

Hopefully, this means Mug for Thought will have new content more regularly! And as always, I welcome submissions and comments.

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Can I fly to Connecticut and take the screenwriting one with you?? Lol. ;) Sounds like a great place for writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweet. I'm going to have to check this out. Maybe we can go to an event together after I move back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! When will you be back in Stamford officially?

      Delete