Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Watching the Wheels: Where I Still Am

Songs will always be interpreted differently by each listener. Sometimes, one particular interpretation will develop within culture that actually quite different than the one the artist intended. Yet art is intrinsically subjective, and the emotions we first feel when listening to a song, watching a film, reading a book, or looking at a painting will probably shape our perception of that work for years to come.

I say this because of my love of all arts, especially those that inspire me. Sometimes creative works serve primarily as a fun break from the responsibilities of our everyday lives, but the best ones do more - they draw upon those life experiences and resonate with us for that very reason - these works are the ones I strive to make, if only to help one person better express what he or she is feeling.

A song particularly striking a chord with me at the moment is John Lennon's "Watching the Wheels." My understanding of the one time Beatle and his career and life as a solo artist are fairly general, yet I can sense that he was probably a troubled man - one whose feelings we never had the opportunity to fully comprehend, unfortunately. Because if there's an image that resonates with me, it is certainly the idea of feeling stuck moving in circles doing the same things day after day. Even if Lennon wrote the song to express contentment in being where he had gotten, "Watching the Wheels" is equally moving to someone as myself looking for something more in my life.

This past summer I wrote how Yogi Berra once said to "know where you're going" in order to get there, and how knowing where we are at any given moment in our lives is essential to moving forward. Well, three months have passed since then, and I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. I may very well be making progress in my life (or so I'm told), but that knowledge doesn't save me from crying myself to sleep sometimes.

What does help? Music, literature, film. So on days where I just have to let it go - I'll put on some music and do exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment