Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Why Glee?

http://glee-ography.tumblr.com
The television series Glee, more than any topic I've written about so far on MFT, has emerged as a major subject of my blog, from plot analyses to recommendations of other Glee bloggers to song suggestions for future episodes. Some of you may be reading this blog because of your interest in Glee, others despite your lack thereof. I appreciate all of you. Non-Gleeks, I'm definitely working on some other articles for you as well, and I hope you've been able to get something out of my articles even if you don't watch the show regularly. Still, you may wonder why I've immersed myself in this show so much, and as I have some further analyses of characters and scenes planned, I take a moment to reflect on how this show has come to influence my writing so much.

Foremost, I enjoy the show. I love the students. Even when it drives me crazy at times when it's clear these characters would not be considered unpopular in a real high school setting, or I want to tell the characters exactly how to resolve their relationship conflicts so I don't have to watch their melodrama any longer, I always come back each week, and that says something about the group. As Brittany says in this season's finale, “I know that all the kids in glee club - they fight and they steal each other’s boyfriends and girlfriends, and they threaten to quit, like, every other week, but…weird stuff like that happens in families. Family is a place where everyone loves you no matter what, and they accept you for who you are." Like Brittany, and I think all of the members of New Directions, I may pretend to be cool and indifferent at times, but I'm not fooling anyone - I'm sentimental at heart, and Glee brings out my true colors, in my writing and in life.

If I'm a true idealist, I feel my best writing is no different. In an era when popular media outlets from Gawker to Rolling Stone all seem to be brimming with snark, I've often felt self-conscious of my comparably wholesome outlook, and tried to emulate edgier writing styles. Yet it never seems to work, because it's not my voice. I can be cranky, believe me, but at the end of the day, I'm generally an easygoing optimist. I don't feel any need to knock people down for my own amusement, nor do I think enough of myself to think I could actually do so convincingly. Still, this disposition doesn't lend itself well to a lot of commentary on sex or politics - and that's where Glee comes in. The show is often far from wholesome, with major storylines involving deceit, blackmail and infidelity, and almost every character capable of a snide remark. Yet it's the show's ability to balance acknowledgement of these real faults of humanity with wit, heart and messages of being true to oneself that makes it successful (most of the time), and also the perfect topic for me to write about.

I first wrote about Glee over a year ago, right before the second half of the first season (often referred to as the "Back Nine") aired. I had been blogging for about eight months at the time, and this was the first time I felt my blog begin to click, so I continued to write about the show. Often I felt my articles were less than meaningful, but I kept at it, building off of prior writings and rewrites. Now, I feel I have a foundation of work to draw upon when I write, especially related to the series.

I aspire to write about subjects more important than Glee, or at least improve my ability to analyze the social issues Glee addresses, namely adolescence, relationships, and social and gender roles. After all, Glee's role as a springboard for these discussions is another reason I enjoy the show. Additionally, I want to explore other works in popular culture and develop my thoughts on them. While I strive to make this blog more well-rounded, I'm not ready to close the books on Glee just yet. After all, graduation's a year away.

2 comments:

  1. "I can be cranky, believe me, but at the end of the day, I'm generally an easygoing optimist. I don't feel any need to knock people down for my own amusement, nor do I think enough of myself to think I could actually do so convincingly."

    I'm the same way! That's why I can never get into a lot of the discussion of ships on Glee. People are just TOO into it and black-and-white about it, and I'm just not..

    Though, you're even more laid back than I am.

    Sounds like the makings of a great writer!

    Don't worry about writing too much Glee! It's a very popular show, and it covers topics we can all relate. So if you're feeling the Glee, write it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Quinneh! I appreciate the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete