Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Before we return to our regularly scheduled programming...

I would like to share some final thoughts on how Glee's second season has unfolded, as we anticipate what the kids from New Directions will take away from this school year and what we will conclude as an audience.

The team behind Glee has a knack for taking its viewers along on an emotional roller coaster. I don't think anyone quite knew what to expect after the show moved past its groundbreaking first season, and I'm not sure the cast and crew did either. A lot of the initial storylines seemed to dissolve - Finn's and Rachel's relationship, Quinn's dating Sam and becoming Cheerio captain once more - and new ones emerged - Kurt's transfer to Dalton, Santana's realization of her feelings for Brittany - and we were left wondering where the plot would go next.

When we last saw our Gleeks, Rachel learned that original couple Finn and Quinn had reunited, channeled her angst into the heart-wrenching "Get It Right" and opened up to her teammates more than she ever had before. The club worked together to express their own frustrations through the empowerment anthem "Loser Like Me", win their first regionals title, and share a bonding moment with Rachel, their chosen MVP. "Original Song" was the strongest episode of the season and the strongest of the series since last year's finale. It was the first time this season I felt that everything I'd been watching this past year might be able to come together. "Original Song" was an emotional payoff for all of the energy I'd invested into the show over the year, and it gave me hope for the show's future.

Tonight the final series of new episodes this season resume. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Glee team members integrate the stories they've established this season. I know I've been critical of their choices in the past, but I'm going to try and just enjoy the ride they've created for me. Reflection and analysis can wait until summer break.

No comments:

Post a Comment