Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads."

The McFly Family, November 12, 1955

Every once in a while people start talking about my favorite movie, Back to the Future, once again.

It's been 25 years since Marty McFly drove a DeLorean well above the speed limit and into his parents' past as well as cinematic history. That's cause for some celebration, unfolding appropriately to match the timeline (no pun intended) of the first film.

While originally released as a 1985 summer blockbuster, (sadly I missed the opportunity to see the original release in theaters), I definitely associate BTTF with fall. It's a fantastic "high school movie," with a pivotal plot event being the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance (arguably Hill Valley High School's Homecoming Dance.) I always enjoy coming-of-age movies most during autumn, while I reflect on my own high school and college experiences. Further, the film takes place during the fall. On October 26th, 1985, Marty traveled back in time to November 5, 1955, when he stayed through November 12, 1955, the night when a bolt of lightening sent him "Back to the Future." Because the film takes place in late October/early November, I love to watch it at this time of year, preferably on a rainy Saturday night to match the one in the movie.

I hope to write a review of the movie and how it has impacted me, to be posted shortly. Until then, these are some of my favorite articles commemorating the film's 25th anniversary:

Interview with Bob Gale, who wrote one of the funniest, most clever and most heartfelt screenplays of all time.

Interview with Michael J. Fox and Lea Thompson, which is the feature story of Entertainment Weekly's 20th Anniversary Issue.

Also, remember that the Back to the Future trilogy will be released on Blu-ray on October 26th, 2010: 25 years to the date that Marty's journey began!

2 comments:

  1. I hate the Cubs, I really hate the Cubs. I hope they never win the World Series ever. However, if they do win, I will only be O.K. with it if it is in 2015, the year predicted in Back to the Future. I will still hate that year though.

    ReplyDelete