Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Happy Banned Books Week!

In honor of Banned Books Week this week, The New York Times explains "10 Ways to Celebrate."

The American Library Association website offers an extensive database of articles about frequently banned and challenged books, and the reasons behind the bans.

As you probably know, many of the books most frequently challenged are also those most acclaimed, such as The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984 and Animal Farm. Furthermore, the most frequently challenged books of the past decade have been the Harry Potter volumes.

These and countless other controversial books have changed my life, shaping the person I am today arguably for the better (I hope you agree). I remember vividly how I felt reading each novel for the first time, and there's no question each literary contribution has inspired my dreams to become a writer who may also one day shape our public discourse.

I hope you will continue the dialogue about these books and the social questions they pose. You just may learn something about yourself in the process and have fun while doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment