Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

Seinfeld on the Curb!

One of my anachronistic interests has become relevant again: The Seinfeld cast is reuniting on Curb Your Enthusiasm for the show's 7th season!

Anyone who knows me will tell you that
Seinfeld is my all-time favorite television show, and I still watch several reruns a week. Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David shaped my sense of humor and writing style. If you called this the blog about nothing, I would take that as a compliment. Whenever I feel stressed out, Seinfeld will put a smile on my face. It humorously portrays frustrating, relatable situations, such as unsuccessfully trying to meet friends for a movie or dinner at a Chinese restaurant. In doing so, the sitcom provides me with comfort that I am not alone in my neuroses and fears that I will claim "I'm unemployed and I live with my parents" well into my thirties.


As a disclaimer, I was a carefree elementary schooler during the 1990s, too young to fully appreciate the humor and themes of Seinfeld when it first aired. I came to love the show through reruns watched during my high school and college years, the prime era of insecurity in one's life. Seinfeld made me and I suspect countless others feel less alone in our anxieties. As Time reporter Bruce Handy wrote in anticipation of the show's conclusion, "Like the rest of us, the show's overly analytic foursome must pick their way through an increasingly chaotic social battlefield, forced to write their own etiquette for even the most insignificant encounters." 


I've often imagined what it would be like to have been in my early twenties during Seinfeld's initial run, navigating the adult world at the same time as the Seinfeld foursome. Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld writer and co-creator Larry David's solo project and makeshift spinoff, is one of my favorite shows, employing the same idiosyncratic humor as its predecessor. Nonetheless, I wonder what it would have been like to watch Seinfeld in prime time. 


This year, I finally get that chance. The Seinfeld characters are back to plan and stage a mock reunion in this season's plotline of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'm sure the cast will be up to their same old hijinks. So far, Larry jeopardized the reunion show by complaining about that the free Lakers tickets NBC offered him were in a bad location, and had to save it through his signature groveling. Stay tuned for more commentary as the reunion develops, and in the meantime, watch this video from Funny or Die depicting a hypothetical CW remake of my favorite show.

No comments:

Post a Comment