Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Summer's Gone

"The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying, it's you, it's you, must go and I must bide."
-"Danny Boy"

What a sad song. Having Irish descent, I grew up listening to "Danny Boy" and it still moves me every time I hear it. It's a particularly appropriate song right now, on so many levels.

We've lost what seems like especially many famous people this summer. Most recently, we've bid farewell to Senator Ted Kennedy and his sister Eunice, members of arguably the most influential Irish-American family. In addition, two of my favorite writers have passed away, journalist Walter Cronkite and screenwriter-director John Hughes. These public figures have served as role models to me and countless others for decades through their civic service and social commentary. Like Danny, they sought to achieve the American Dream, and they triumphed. As summer represents the intangibles of joy and youthful nostalgia, it seems fitting that we must say goodbye to these leaders as the leaves change from green to gold.

These farewells, and the summer's passing, have been especially poignant for me, signaling my own journey ahead. I don't know whether I relate more to Danny's father, as I think of my friends returning to college and entering graduate school; or Danny, as I embark upon a new life with these friends no longer a door knock away from support and comfort.

Despite my anxieties about the future, I am optimistic. I start a job as a freelance production assistant at my local news station this week. I'm excited about this new stage of my life. Because as much as I love daydreaming on the beach, I'd rather be at my desk with a mug of hot coffee, one step closer to achieving those dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment